An Old Friend Would Like To Hear From You

While cleaning out an old file cabinet in my garage I found a letter from an old friend. I haven't seen or talked to him in twenty years. Jon and I worked for the same state agency back in the '80s. We shared a lot of the same interests, worked together well and I thought he was a really nice guy. We were friends. The letter I found included some personal information about things that were going on at the time and I realized while reading it again how much I missed being in touch with him. Not because of the contents of his letter but because of confidence that we felt in sharing personal situations with each other.

Over the years I've said many times that you can count your real friends on one hand and probably have a few fingers left over. That may not apply to you but still pretty much does to me. I'm not talking about acquaintances, I'm talking about true friends. I won't define what a true friend is for you but I will say that they are rare. It is shame to meet people that you can develop and share a real friendship with and then because of a change in jobs or location forget that relationship and never communicate with them again.

The Internet made it pretty easy to find Jon and read a little about what he was involved in after all the years. He's moved on and up in his field and still doing the things he loves.

I found his phone number and called him. It was a little awkward waiting for a response because I figured he probably wouldn't even remember me much less be interested in talking. After all, it's been twenty years.

Jon and I talked for an hour. We brought each other up to date on our lives (as much twenty years as you can squeeze into one hour) and I told him that I was sorry that I hadn't done my part in staying in contact, that I counted him a friend and hoped our future conversations wouldn't be so far apart. Taking the time to call was one of the best things I've done lately. It was amazing. It felt as if we picked up right where we left off, just older with more experiences to add to the conversation. Like I had just gone to get a newspaper, not twenty years later. It was great talking to him and he said he was really glad I had taken the time to call. It will be just as easy to talk to him again. That's the way it should be with friends.

You can count your real friends on one hand and probably have a few fingers left over. If you have let time or distance or circumstances get between you and something as rare as a true friend, you need to pick up the phone, and old friend would like to hear from you.


Comments

Popular Posts