Who Are These People And Where Do They Live?

Spent a few years living in a very small town in Alabama. Life in a small town can be interesting. For the folks that grow up and live in a small town life is often viewed as quiet, peaceful, full of friends, family and good memories. Although I'm from a big town I like the idea of living in a small town. I think the idea part is actually better than the living there part unless you are originally from the small town you live in.

When people use the term 'small town' they may be referring to the size of the town in area. It might be a reference to population. Or, maybe they mean there's just not much going on there. Sometimes 'small town' means that it is a place lost in a time warp where outsiders are unwelcome , visitors are viewed with suspicion, and the local greeting, "You ain't from around here are you?" may not be stated but is certainly implied. More about that last idea in future posts.

Anyway, I needed to mail a letter to some folks who had recently moved into town. I went to the post office, picked up some stamps, stuck one on the envelope and handed the letter to the attendant at the counter. Nice lady, she took the letter and said the route carrier had not yet left with that day's outgoing mail and she would see to it that my letter would be delivered that day. I smiled, thanked her and was on my way.

Just as I was about to get in my truck the mail carrier came running out to the parking lot and yelled, "Hey, wait a minute. I have a problem with this letter". I said, 'Yes ma'am, what is the problem?'. She asked very matter-of-factly while looking down at the letter, "Who are these people and where do they live?"

I looked at her for a few seconds, realized she was serious and replied, "They are the folks who's names appear on the front of the envelope and they live at the address printed right under their names". I'm not making this up. Not being very pleased with my response (I'm sure she thought she had asked a valid question) she turned and walked away. While she was still in voice range I suggested that she might want to try finding their phone number so she could call and ask them where they lived.

Encounters like this only happen in small towns. That is part of what makes them interesting. It may also be in part what keeps them small. During the time I lived in this little town events like the one at the post office would be commonplace. This is the same town where reading the residents' water meters required two people because one had to stay in the truck with a foot on the accelerator pedal to keep it from stalling.

Who are these people and where do they live? Maybe they're just some folks that live in a small town.

Comments

Popular Posts