Unused Gift Card


I was looking for something in my wallet and found a gift card that had been tucked away there for a long time. As I looked at the card I thought about how many times I'd been in the store where the card is redeemable and spent money while never thinking I was sitting on an unused gift card. Why had I not used it? It was right there within reach every time.

Just think about all the other gift cards you and I are sitting on that will go unredeemed. Regardless of your age, education or income, I think you have abilities you aren't using. You have talent you don't realize. There are things you and I know how to do, explain, teach, share and contribute that others folks do not. Talents that would be a benefit both to ourselves and to others if we would only put them to use.

Businesses, depending on how states require them to handle liabilities and income, can turn a liability into huge profits when gift cards are not redeemed. Last year Ruth's Chris, the steakhouse chain, expected to add about $2.2 million in operating income as a result unredeemed gift cards. It doesn't work that way with the God given gift cards we aren't using.

The sad reality is that when you don't redeem the gift card of talents and abilities that was designed just for you, nobody profits. Not you, not the one who gave you the gift, nor the countless people who might have benefited from it. In fact, everyone involved loses. What are you doing with all the unused gift cards you are sitting on?

Comments

  1. Come to think of it, I think I have a gift card to Hobodeos, the local hobo video store. I'm going to use it.
    Good advice.
    --Hobo Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobo Bob, thanks. It's a nice feeling to know my blog is making a real difference in the lives of hobos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts